Recently ExxonMobil announced that it was entering the CSG sector here in Victoria.
Most players in the CSG industry to date have been small or untested operators. Having such a large company involved makes things a lot more serious for Victoria. We will need to build our efforts and capacity in coming months to be able to counter this new threat.
We are holding an info night on June 28 about our coal and CSG campaigns.
For almost 2 years Friends of the Earth activists have been building the profile of coal, coal seam gas and other ‘unconventional’ gas proposals across regional Victoria.
There is now a fantastic story that we want to share about this campaign. We are working with a range of allies, and an alliance of more than 50 groups has supported our call for a moratorium on new coal and gas.
We have helped put fossil fuel developments ‘on the map’ across southern Victoria.
We want to share the story behind this campaign, and invite you to be involved in the next stage as we continue to build momentum towards a moratorium.
Please come along to an informal evening at the wonderful South Melbourne Commons, our community sustainability hub located in an old primary school. Details below.
Hope to see you there
Friends of the Earth
Campaign briefing: Farmland not gasland. Alliance building and new environmental campaigning in rural Victoria.
WHEN: Thursday June 28, 6pm for a 6.15 start. Finish by 7.30 pm
WHERE: in the hall at FoE’s South Melbourne Commons community sustainability hub.
Corner of Bank and Montague streets, South Melbourne
· An informal wander around the Commons and introduction from manager Megan McCormack
· a glass of wine or a cuppa and short presentations from:
· Aidan Ricketts, community campaigner and author of the Activists Handbook, who will talk about the CSG Free campaign in northern NSW
· Cam Walker, FoE campaigns co-ordinator – on the campaign to date
· Shaun Murray, Quit Coal campaign – on the campaign against new coal at Bacchus Marsh
· A chat and a mingle with other FoE members, campaigners, partners, and supporters
Please rsvp: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please feel free to bring partners or friends
For further information on what we have been up to, please check here.
Quit Coal: http://quitcoal.org.au/portfolio/our-land-not-gasland/
To support our work, please check here.